This week we installed three additional heritage panels in the Remuera town centre in Auckland. The panel in this photograph shows the original Remuera Post Office built in 1914. This landmark corner building is a good example of early 20th century government architecture in the Edwardian Baroque style.
The 1914 two storey brick building with clock tower included accommodation for the postmaster upstairs. It was designed by Claude Paton in the office of the Government Architect John Campbell. There were several attempts to have clocks installed in the clock tower and this was finally achieved in 1962 with a gift from NB Spencer, long-time Remuera resident of 70 years and Chairman of the Auckland Transport Board.
Find out more about Remuera's history